Mending a sock...

You go to the supermarket, you need more socks, you throw them in the trolley & you wear them... They wear out & get holes in them (or the dog chews them), and really, what can you do except get rid of them? I cannot darn shop socks, the yarn they use is too fine, like sewing thread. Now, I didn't say throw them away, there's lots of things to do with them... But mending them just is not happening here. 

However... You make your own socks, and the yarn is thicker, so you can darn little holes... Or repair little mishaps... 
that happen when the dog decides to help you with that sock that was downstairs for darning! 

I didn't pick up the stitches as soon as I saw what doggie had done to my sock. I left it a month, while I finished 1 grey sock, worked on my jumper & did other mending.  But I picked it up last night & pushed needles into what I hoped was the right place, cut out the chewed up yarn & started frogging. Got down to the needles, looked carefully at the sock (remember, it was out for darning anyway) & realised I needed to take it back even further to get to yarn that wasn't fraying away. 

I don't have the rest of the matching yarn, but I do have more of the same type (4 ply WI microfibre from hobby craft, not hard wearing enough for socks) in a different colour. I took the rest of the pink, bright yarn to work to make manes & tails for unicorns, & it stayed there. So I've got some attractive grey stripes for now, but there's green & purple & turquoise in the ball. 

Other things I've done today - taken the brown bin out the front so the bin men can empty it tomorrow! I live such an exciting life!  Elder son sold the motorbike that was in the way of the back gate, phew. The back garden looked twice as big when it had gone. 

Elder son & I went to the allotment
(photo of generic plots at our allotment field, ours not visible from here). We looked carefully at our plots, & have a plan to take it down to just Elder Son's plot (with the fruit trees on it) & to move the rhubarb (again), strawberries & lavendar onto his plot. And give up my plot. I can't keep on top of 2 plots that were never in tidy, easy to manage order in the first place, & now Elder Son is back at work & usually doing 60 hours a week, he doesn't have the time to do it either.  Hoping the field secretary will let us have it as 2 half plots so we can each have a key to the field. (This was how we ended up with 2 plots in the first place, only the plot holder gets the key, & has to be on site with any family member who wants to work on the plot. So the boys couldn't go without me.)

I love the view of the church from the allotments. From the other side, you're standing in the car park, or the other side of the road looking across parked cars & the car park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dough in the airing cupboard

Good Friday 2021

October half term