Simplicity 1356 with pockets


Yay, dress with pockets!  An unplanned benefit is that with phone in 1 pocket, & inhaler & keys in the other pocket, it hangs better than before & doesn't ride back over the shoulders. 

I'd planned to put the pockets on the back section of the dress so they'd be on the outer layer of the skirt, but having safety pinned them in place, looked in the mirror & asked Elder Son what he thought, moved them to the front of the dress so they're on the inner layer of the dress. This means, even with stuff in the pockets, they're not changing the line of the dress.  

I made a pattern for the pockets by measuring a paperback book (Vegan Feasts, by Rose Elliot) & drawing a rectangle the same size, adding 1.5cm all round (so, 3cm to the height & width) for the hem. After cutting 4 rectangles from the material, I ironed the hems by turning 0.5cm for the first turn, & 1cm for the second turn.  I then hemmed them all by hand. I like hemming by hand. Then (after the aforementioned discussion with the mirror & Elder Son), pinned them into place, 20 cm up from the bottom of the skirt, & 11cm in from the edge.  Because that's where it looked right when I'd used the safety pins. I slip stitched each pocket, & there are stitches that show where I didn't get the 2nd pocket aligned up with the first & got the stitches through both layers of the skirt. I don't care, the pockets are hidden, & it's a lot more functional now. 

Obviously, ideally, I'd have thought about pockets as I made it & put them on before sewing the dress & lining together. But I'm happy with it as it is. 

Look, you can't see the pockets! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dough in the airing cupboard

Good Friday 2021

October half term