Random thoughts on recycling

It's black bin day here tomorrow. We have 3 bins, blue (recycling) & brown (compostable garden waste) are emptied 1 week, and black (rubbish, burnt for energy). I've always tried to recycle as much as I can - when Elder Son was a little boy at preschool, I'd load up the cans & jars into the shopping trolley, take him to preschool, queue at the Post Office to get my income support money & go to the supermarket. Recyclables into their appropriate bins, go into the supermarket & do the shopping, get home & put it away (or at least frozen & chilled stuff) before going to get him after his 2 1/2 hours at preschool. This was when we only had the black bins, of course. It's much easier now.

But sometimes it's still difficult. We don't use dairy milk, & I've not seen (affordable) non - dairy milk round here. One can make it, but then it wouldn't have the added calcium. So there are always tetra packs to dispose of. The supermarket used to have a bin for them, but then the council said we could put them in the blue bin. So the supermarket got rid of the unused bin... & then the council said we could only recycle them at the dump (I mean 'Household Waste Recycling Centre'). Which is okay if I store up a couple of weeks of tetra packs & put the bag in the car & go off to the dump... Till lockdown when the dumps were closed, & though they're now reopened, there's a booking system.

And it feels a bit of a waste of fuel to book a space just to do the tetra packs!  (I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I could find to take, but it just feels very stressful, having to book a space, making sure everything is small & light enough I can do it on my own, etc.) 

So I'm currently using the empty tetra packs as kitchen bins & putting them in the black bin to be burnt for energy. And that's okay for now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dough in the airing cupboard

Good Friday 2021

October half term